Search Box


Advanced search

Back to Love letters to boma bear      To my cites

April 30, 2009

conference, staff, meetings, Eric Holder, tobacco, Senator Stevens, Rush  Limbaugh, Dick ChenyDearest Boma Bearconference, staff, meetings, Eric Holder, tobacco, Senator Stevens, Rush  Limbaugh, Dick Cheny

You've been really busy the last 100 days. I don't want to interrupt you, your conference calls, or your staff meetings, even the special ones, that are they held using sock puppets.

But, hold a private meeting with your new US AG Eric Holder. During black history month he proclaimed "Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards,". I think he said this at the drive through at McDonald's. This is all he said and just drove off (1 ).

No S'mores for him! We are far from a nation of cowards. We have been misinformed. We allowed this to halt our progression as a people. We can only hope we learn from our past mistakes. Also remember a total melting pot would blend way all the beauty of different ethnicities and cultures We should be proud of who we are and our past no matter how varied it may be.

Also you've recently given tobacco smokers the biggest increase in US history, no taxes for the middle class?? (2 ).

Alaska's experience with increasing the tax has been questionable. The increase in tobacco tax happened in January 2005 it went from 60 cent to a dollar sixty per pack (3 ).

It hasn't really been proven to reduce youths with start to smoke. In Alaska we did see a decline in youths who smoke for the years of the tax increase. But the number had been decreasing since 1995 (4 ).

Also adults had already shown a trend of smoking less
Per adult cigarette consumption declined 36% from State Fiscal Year (SFY) 1997 to SFY 2006; 422 million fewer cigarettes were sold in 2006 compared to 1997.

1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006
125.9 115.2 102.3 100.2 94.0 91.6 90.1 92.0 88.0 80.4
Between State Fiscal Years (SFY) 1997 and 2006, the number of packs of cigarettes sold in Alaska per adult dropped from 125.9 to 80.4. (5 ).

this seems to be mainly a money thing, consider when the states sued big tobacco over their "blood money", money seemed to be our only concern. Consider this quote "From the outset, the Alaska legislature sought to issue bonds against its tobacco settlement revenue and get an infusion of cash to build, rehabilitate, and remodel schools. The legislature established the 'Northern Tobacco Securitization Corporation' and authorized the use of tobacco settlement funds to back school construction bonds. This was accomplished through the Alaska Housing Finance Corporation. Beginning in July 2001, 40% of the tobacco settlement revenue began to be used to pay down the debt on the bonds, with the remaining 60% appropriated by the legislature as it sees fit and including health and prevention purposes, according to NCSL's Health Policy Tracking Service. The 2001 legislature passed a law to securtize an additional 40% of the settlement revenue for a total of 80%. The additional 40% will also be used for schools." (6 ).

Also going back to Attorney General Eric Holder, He asked the corruption charges against Alaska former Senator Stevens be dropped saying "After careful review, I have concluded that certain information should have been provided to the defense for use at trial," and added "it is in the interest of justice to dismiss the indictment and not proceed with a new trial." (7 ).

The only superstar on either side of the isle has been Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski who stood by her collogue and even unsuccessfully tried to get a pardon from former president Bush, citing the trial had been unfair (8 ).

Maybe she should have been McCain's choice for a VP, pure class all the way.

Also we got Rush Limbaugh saying about your policies "I hope he fails."(9 ).

Rush knows failure, in 2006 they found a bottle of Viagra on his person but his name was not on the prescription (10 ). A mans got to do what a mans got to do and leave the details to the lawyers

Finally with Dick Cheny broadcasting doom across the nation we have former president Bush saying "I'm not going to spend my time criticizing him. There are plenty of critics in the arena," and "He deserves my silence.". Breaking from the GOP pack Bush said he wanted you to succeed and he said "I love my country a lot more than I love politics," and concluded "I think it is essential that he be helped in office." (11 ).

100 and counting

dgratewazo